A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tuesday's Mail-A Gardener's Delight!

Well, didn't THIS brighten up a drizzly winter's day?

The order from Heirloom Seeds that I placed on December 15th FINALLY arrived. I have to say I was a little surprised at how long it took. Last years order arrived within a week. This year it was over a month.

This was the first time I have ordered from Select Seeds and that went well. The only thing left to come in is my order from Thompson and Morgan and a packet of Snow Crown Cauliflower that Vermont Bean had backordered. (see above pet peeve!)

I have begun my winter sowing of flowers-the deck is filling up quickly with trays of soil and very frozen flower seeds. What a great space saver it is to be able to start my perennials outside and save my room under the flourescent lights for the tender veggies and annuals. For those who are unfamiliar with winter sowing , here is a great site www.wintersown.org

I also pulled some of the geraniums up from the basement, trimmed them back and stuck them in a sunny window. Only one so far has greened up. I'm wondering if maybe three years is the limit on doing this. Last year all of them "came back". Oh well, I'm not out anything. Perhaps a different shade of pink is in order this year!
:D

10 comments:

  1. I have a large order in with Heirloom Seeds. When I placed it they said orders were taking 30 days. I think that they may shut down for a while over the holidays. If my memory serves me correctly, it was the same way last year at this time. Any other time of the year they are very quick.

    I too get excited when I get seeds and garden books in the mail....it definitely brightens up a cold winters day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on year 2 of my geraniums and I was wondering the same thing! Experience is always the best teacher, guess we'll find out :) !

    ReplyDelete
  3. What inspiration you must get from those magazines, the country gardens in Europe just make me drool. My husband went to Ireland on a business trip a couple of years ago, and all he could say to me was 'you would love the gardens', 'I wish you could see the gardens'.

    Enjoy flipping the pages and dreaming!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin-I think you may be right about them shutting down mid-winter. I had good luck last year with them!

    Erin-I was surprised last year how well those geraniums did-they were so crispy brown when I pulled them out of the basement but they came out of it beautifully. This year, well.....
    On a bright note---a trip to the greenhouse this spring to select new ones!!
    :D

    Kelly-the gardens in that magazine are incredible-but then again, they're not dealing with sand..... And NO rain all summer. I have always loved the english gardens, but sadly, will never be able to have one. But a gal can dream!........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our town's post office employees pull their two big pots of geraniums inside every fall, place them in front of south facing floor to ceiling windows and they bloom all winter long. It's always so cheery to pull into a parking space and see those colorful blooms smiling away on a cold, gray winter's day. Yay for geraniums!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard about winter sowing...I am going to have to check that out. It sounds very interesting. I received a couple seed catalogs last year, but didn't receive any yet this year...very sad :( I'll dig out last years and decide what to order.

    Did you get some snow Monday???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mama Pea-I would so LOVE to keep all my geraniums in my windows, but I'm a bit pressed for space. I did keep my Martha Washington geraniums upstairs-they're so expensive I didn't want to take the chance. Don complains it's like living in a jungle.....perhaps he should put me up a greenhouse? Snicker!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb-I meant to tell you in the email I sent-I'd offer you MY seed catalogs, but they look like they've been through a shredder-I cut them up for the flower pictures for planning my borders, etc. Eesh....if those companies only knew what I did to their catalogs!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried wintersowing for the first time last year. It worked, but only for about 25% of the varieties I started. It was still worth it though! It's almost completely hassle-free except for remembering to water.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Green Z-I had pretty good luck with it. This will be my second year-I don't use too many seeds, in case it doesn't take.....but anything I can get started helps.
    Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting.
    :)

    ReplyDelete