A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Garden Update May 10-22, 2011


Busy Busy this past 2 weeks. Much progress has been made.
The geraniums from inside have been brought out to "toughen up" and lend a colorful air to the deck. Right now, it's the ONLY thing of beauty that's going on here.


We have once again made the neighbors wonder if it is EVER going to straighten up at the
place. Our yard has been ripped up in various LARGE pieces every year for the past 3 years.


Well, this summer is no different. Why stop making a mess now?



But , as dear hubby would say, this is the "gooder-est " mess yet. I have water in the garden.

THREE YEARS I hauled water the 300 yards to my vegetables. THREE LONG YEARS. And

now that is done. I am one very happy lady.


And of course, since installing that water, we have had plentiful rain. We have received a month's worth of rain ( 2.7" ) since my last post less than 2 weeks ago.


I've harvested lots of spinach. The radishes are abundant. Lettuce, though a bit small yet, are sweet and delicious.


Planted in the past 12 days--all potatoes, onions, celery (my first attempt ever at this one!) , broccoli, cauliflower, carrots,brussels sprouts (again, a first for me) , and just yesterday 2 rows of green beans.


I've done remarkably well this year with succession sowing. Every time a row of peas, etc. pops up, I sow more. I should have a steady supply of produce this summer. The first two years , I had a one bumper crop (can you say OVER-WHELMING!!) of each crop. Not this year. It takes me a bit to get smart.







I train my peas with an old window screen pushed against them-it will be removed as soon as they can reach that first rung.



The new guardian of the garden. Hubby got him for me at a flea market. I love that it was carved to sit on a corner.



The sidewalk border has been mulched heavily with "donkey-doo" and topped with a thick

layer of grass clippings. The perennials have responded with a healthy burst of growth.



I haven't potted up herbs for the ladder yet, or planted any annuals. We are still going to get heavy frosts this coming week. No planting of "delicates" until June 4.


I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing everyone's gardens online. We are all in such various stages of growth. For those of us in the far north, it's wonderful to be able to see flowers in bloom and vegetables being harvested. I just have to be content with pictures for now.



14 comments:

  1. I love how you have set up your gardens. I may steal the idea when we move and have more property to plant! What a great idea for the peas! Thanks for the inspiration you provide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for the water!! I am sure your neighbors understand! And really, if they don't, they should at least appreciate the fact that since you wont have to lug so much water it leaves time for other things. Like finding new messes and projects! (or more messes) :o}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome work in the garden Sue. You have accomplished much since I last visited. I always learn something when reading your posts. Thanks for sharing your beautiful garden with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that new guardian of the garden! Looks like he will keep out anything that could harm it. :) I also think its great that you don't have to haul water anymore...and think its funny that as soon as you got everything put in, you got lots of rain! Mother Nature is a jokester, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your geraniums sure stayed healthy over the winter inside.
    Yea for having water near the veggies!
    Succession sowing makes such a difference. I'm still working on getting it down. I didn't try with the peas as we get too hot for them eventually so I need all of them in as soon as possible. Your trick with the window screen is great.
    Cute bear!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the neighbor's are in AWE of you, there's no way they can keep up LOL! Everything looks great, don't worry! I love that ladder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden's are so cute--I love little bear- I would sit him in my garden tho it looks like I WON'T EVAN HAVE SO MUCH AS A GERANIUM THUS YEAR. MOTHER'S DAY DIDN'T EVEN Harvest a outdoor plant-I feel like I'm living amongst THE PEOPLE IN THE MOVIE " The Grapes Of Wrath" just truong to feed little mouths .

    ReplyDelete
  8. The garden looks great, and I'm happy to hear you are now getting a harvest. However......those have to be the most beautiful peach colored geraniums I have ever seen! EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks great. Congrats on the water, just figures you have not gotten a chance to use it yet, lol. Love the bear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue, we here in Nebraska are not much ahead of you. I just planted my tomatoes, green peppers, and cucumbers last week. Of course the onions, radishes, and lettuce are up and just about to start producing. Well, the radishes and lettuce are but the onions of course will still be awhile.

    I love this time of the year. Don't you? Everything is so fresh, new, and green.

    Have a great day in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I seriously doubt your neighbors are the least bit fazed by your "messes." They just wait on tender hooks to see what beautiful new landscape wonder you're going to create!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to all of you for your kind comments and encouragement. I've tried and tried and tried to respond to all comments, but blogger has been giving me problems yet again.
    Hopefully THIS comment will take...............

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dad used to call geraniums California weeds. They grow around here with little or no maintenance. I love them!

    Your guardian looks pretty fierce! :-)

    ReplyDelete