Harvest of the strawberries continues. I have gone from roughly 2 quarts a day to around 4 quarts a day. I head out first thing in the morning to pick. They decorate the counter all day--we munch and munch and munch on them. Those left in the evening are processed for the freezer. I used to slice them up and add sugar and vacuum seal them. Now I have been pureeing them into the consistency of applesauce and freezing them into 1/2 cup portions. I never cared for the mushiness of the sliced ones. This is more like eating applesauce--just made with strawberries.
Very good indeed. The freezer is filling quickly.
The sad part is that I'm throwing away at least 1 strawberry for every good one I pick. The heavy rains of last week guaranteed a bad case of mold. Even worse, by my own neglect of my patch, much of this problem is my own fault. I did not keep them thinned. I also left a lot of "debris" in from last year. Shame on me, and lesson learned!! I will be using Mama Pea's http://ahomegrownjournal.blogspot.com/ method of tending them from now on. A little bit (ok-a LOT) of work up front saves a lot of misery later on.
Have a great week!