A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Garden Update June 23


Spring has FINALLY arrived. And yes, I know summer has already arrived, but this is the top of Michigan. It takes awhile to get to some warmth.
We've had a bit over 2" rain the past two days and you can practically watch stuff grow.


Deb Arnold (my good friend!)-this is the varigated form of Sea Holly (Eryngium-I'll get you to use the Latin names sooner or later if it KILLS me!) It's LOADED with blooms-I'm looking forward to that.



The peas are beginning to produce heavily.



The broccoli is doing well in their little tents.



Still getting tons of salad fixings. The weather had been quite cold so they are still sweet and delicious.



The three new beds of strawberries that I ordered from Nourse. As usual, I'm extremely pleased with their order. Didn't lose a one, and they are all healthy. Cavendish, Northeaster, and Record-24 plants each variety.

The strawberries I already have are loaded so heavily. I'm just starting to have them turn. Looks like the freezer will be full and also plenty for pies and fresh eating. I'll be removing the Honey-O after they are done.



Blueberry bushes are all loaded .....looks like a bumper crop this year for the birds and chipmunks ahead. Hope they leave me SOME!



My Penstemon "Elfin Pink" blooming for the first time. I love them. They will be moved to the sidewalk border this fall. They certainly rate a space up there!



The flowers on the deck are all doing well.



The Nepeta "Walker's Low" is outstanding. The bees love it and so do I.



And I FINALLY got the drainage problem completely corrected, so the neighbors will be cheering the removal of the blue tarp (one of DOZENS in my yard!) and I'll be planting up this section with annuals for this summer........to be followed with perennials next spring when I'm sure all the Bishops Weed and grasses are completely gone. Hooray! Onto the next 10 foot section.

14 comments:

  1. There's always a tarp or something somewhere isnt' there? Ha.
    Your plants look very happy. Love that you're freezing straw berries. Mine didn't produce as many this year. We had such a dry winter I lost some plants. Time to baby them for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things:

    1) You are sooo far ahead of us. I just had to go get out the Atlas to check . . . suspicions confirmed. You are quite a bit farther south than we are. Okay, that makes me feel a little better.

    2) I'm done. I'm not looking at your blog posts any more. Your gardens are just too beautiful. I can never even aspire to create anything nearly as lovely as your unbelievably, creative, talented and breath-taking landscaping abilities. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say but the same thing over and over - you are amazing! Your gardens are inspiring - always giving us hope! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Catmint! I have Walker's Low everywhere here, and the combination of that with tall hot pink Salvia behind it is amazing. I have to hack it back soon for another flush of fresh blooms. Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always so envious of your gardens, both vegetable and floral. Especially floral. I swear, you could grow pretty petunias at the North Pole!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gardener on Sherlock-thanks for stopping by. And yes, those tarps are awful but oh so useful in getting rid of sod, etc!
    :)

    Mama Pea....are you trying to make me cry? Cuz it's working. You can't leave. And you know darn well it's the other way around. YOU are the Gardener Gal. Heck, one of the things that attracted me most is how NEAT as a pin your garden is. C'mon. Give me another chance....

    2Tramps-nice to see you again! I'm surprised you have any time left at all with your pup who isn't a pup anymore. Love the way he's grown, by the way. He looks like a wonderful friend!

    Erin-OMG-I NEVER thought of Pink Salvia with the Nepeta. I've been wanting "something" better than the dianthus I have by it. Ha-gonna STEAL your idea-Thank YOU!!
    :)

    AG-sometimes I think this IS the North Pole.
    And I am super jealous of your veggie growing skills. You are the Supreme Queen of the Lettuce. And quite a nice gal, if I might add!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice looking garden! ESPECIALLY this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The variety I have is Autumn Sage (Salvia Greggii). I LOVE it, it's one of my favorites as it seems to be in bloom nearly year round here and gets quite woody and hardy, yet not too big. Those alone will draw the hummingbirds in like crazy, then they stay for everything else! I've never even had a feeder, yet I have 10 or so hummers that are there every day. Here's a link - http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/blogs/plantwise/may-10-salvia-autumn-sage/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachelle--Thank you!!!
    :)

    Erin-Rats, rats, rats---not hardy to my Zone 4. But, I agree-it would look STUNNING in combination with Nepeta. I don't recall seeing this in your garden---Do you have a link-y? I would LOVE to see it. And I can find something similar (but more hardy) now that I've seen it. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I plan on taking a few minutes to read your blog from the beginning...I love the photos...you have wonderful gardens...love your containers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynda-thanks! Don and I love to go out "junking" and we never know what we'll come across. I love your use of fruit boxes for growing potatoes. I'd love to get my hands on one of those. We have a LOT of cherry growers in the area, but they don't part with theirs!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Sue. Just beautiful. Have a great summer and thanks for your encouraging comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We may get summer before you but I would give anything for my gardens not to poop out by this time of year. I am sooooo ready to get out of the South.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It does look like spring your way. Your beds are lovely, and so is the produce!

    ReplyDelete