A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Friday, July 1, 2011

End of the Month Roundup-June 2011


Well, happy July to all! June flew by--probably because I was so busy in the garden.
The Salvia along the sidewalk is now in its full glory. It's gorgeous and the bees LOVE it!!

June had18 sunny days with an average temp of mid 70's and nights in the 40's and 50's.
June 7 and 8 did hit 90. June 28 saw a high of only 64. Talk about a see-saw of temperatures.
We had 5.3" of rain for the month---about twice our normal amount.


Can you believe this was just 4 weeks ago?



The sunflowers are starting to grow well along the west border of the fruit garden. Most are Burpee Aztec, a short season sunflower grown for seeds. It matures in only 70 days-hopefully!

Note I've got MOST of the raspberries cleaned up--I'm NOT moving the original plants until I get a batch of berries first. It's the least they can do after I dug and dug and dug those runners!


The Argyranthemum my good friend Deb Arnold got for me on her visit up is thriving. I have a new favorite for pots on the front porch. They are amazing. Non stop blooms. I dead head about 3 blossums off each plant every morning. Beautiful!




Wonder Hubby strikes again. He made me a trellis for the fruit garden out of 2 old ladders and a couple pieces of decorative brackets he had in the barn . My TOTALLY FREE trellis will soon hold some Trumpet Vine and Lonicera for the Hummingbirds. Yea!!



The vegetable garden is growing well. I splurged $47 at Johnny's online for a 250' roll of Agribon fabric. WELL WORTH IT. We had a huge invasion of bugs this spring (why????) and this stuff has protected everything so well. My crotchety neighbor had to stop, of course, and tell me I could have just sprayed everything. Yea. Well. No. But thanks for your opinion!!

:)




Another freebie project in the works. My plumber gave me this old wagon. He knows I love rusty junk to use for planters. I decided to make a miniature garden. I used popsicle sticks and various rocks and sedums, etc from my yard. The trellis is trimmings from my birch tree. All free.






A close-up of my fence and gate---I used a tiny piece of branch for a handle. Too cute!



And lastly--I added this photo because I had to show how cold it's been--I came in from picking strawberries yesterday and the lens of the camera fogged up when I came into the house. We had 39 degrees......on the last day of June. Love that! Tomatoes do not.

29 comments:

  1. That wagon is the cutest darn thing EVER! Love it to pieces! Everything is looking wonderful. The mum your friend gave you is such a happy looking flower! How can you not smile just looking at it?

    Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that homemade trellis! Awesome idea. Also love the Salvia in full bloom, such a bold color. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - I HAVE THAT WAGON THANK FOR THE IDEA I WANT TO STEAL---OK,TODAY I BROUGHT MY GRANDSON IN TO UNITY HOSPITAL FOR A TEST ON HIS WATER WORKS? THE GIFT SHOP WAS SO AWESOME AND SALES ON SUMMER STUFF. THEY HAVE THESE REPLICA'S OF OLD COPPER SINKS WITH FAUCETS ATTACHED-WOULD BE SUCH A CUTE PLANT HOLDER!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flower gardens are so beautiful, they make me weep with joy when I view them. Really, they do. The veggie garden looks darned good too. Those strawberries make me cry, 'cause I only picked 4 yesterday and they all had bug holes. Now I have to go blow my nose after all that crying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. APG-That flower from my friend is my favorite one-it's a blooming fiend. And it makes me smile because she gave it to me. I miss her terribly!

    ONG-Can you believe I always hated that color? But it looks so darn showy along the walkway and blooms just about forever. I love it!

    Judy-I think the sink planter idea is a great one! Hope you can show us is you do it!

    AG-I'm so sorry to hear about your strawberries. The bugs have been TERRIBLE this year for everyone. I sure do wish you lived nearby. I'd bring you some berries and a bit of my Agribon. Oh, and a peach geranium too! No more crying!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am now convinced that you and Wonder Hubby are actually multi-millionaires who employ a crew of 25 to work on your place 24/7. Also a Research and Development firm to come up with all your ideas. (That wagon is to-die-for!) WHY do I torture myself by continually viewing your yard and gardens????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how the sidewalk garden has filled in! Rain is an amazing thing!

    Your lil' fence and gate is just too cute! Love the trellis idea for a grapevine I have growing. You're just loaded with great ideas!
    Enjoy your berries!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything is beautiful. I just love the mini garden in the wagon - very creative. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mama Pea-You always make me smile. And laugh. Really really laugh. Don thinks YOU would laugh if you saw his pension check. Or maybe not. You'd probably feel sorry for us and make us cookies.
    ?
    :D

    Daisy, thank you so much for your kind comments. You're making my head swell...........

    M-Thank you! I'm so looking forward to following your very very tidy gardens! Thanks for stopping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your little wagon garden is precious! What a clever idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The trellis is great and I love how your vegetable beds look. That row cover is the best. I have not yet done that but am seeing a lot of gardeners rely on it. Sure beats picking off bugs. I understand about the neighbor.
    The wagon mini garden is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. StaceyG-thank you and welcome!
    :)

    Gardener on SS-I was NEVER going to spend money on that Agribon, but the bridal veil material I had been using just wasn't wide enough. It was worth every penny---there are NO pest problems whatsoever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE the trellis and the wagarden!How creative.
    Ribbit

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your veggie garden is perfect! I just love looking at all the neat, orderly beds... and how did you keep the birds from your sunflower seeds when you planted them? Ugh, I only have about 6 that grew on my fenceline, the darn birds too them all. LOVE the wagon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your gardens are looking beautiful and I love the yellow Argyranthemum. The wagon is just so cute, you are very creative. Wonderful photos, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your garden is gorgeous!! Everything looks so beautiful and I adore the little wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Erin--I think we know quite a few gals that like it NEAT AS A PIN--hint hint!
    :D
    I had to put 5 seeds (no kidding!) in each planting hole. And even then, a lot of them turned up missing. It's those Blue Devils at work again---the Blue Jays. They watch me out there and the minute my back is turned.....
    :(

    Eileen and Anke-thank you both so much for the kind words. Enjoy the upcoming Holiday!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't believe how cool you last day of June was. Love the little wagon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sue, you are the best at being creative. Me, I just throw away junk, but now I guess I'll have to start trying to figure out ways to recycle them into planters. I have lots of junk that I think should go to the land fill but now you have sparked my interest in saving the junk. Lord have mercy. What have you done?

    Have a great 4th. Stay cool and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Backroadjournal-we usually have quite a few cool nights in the summer--40's is pretty common, but when it gets in the 30's I get a little worried for the tomatoes!

    David-What have I done? Hopefully got you to use all that stuff!
    :)
    Waiting for an update on your garden doings-hint hint! You have to get going on that firepit-fall will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your gardens are beautiful!!! Amazing! I really like the wagon one - how very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great garden, so full of good things and good vibes and here's to keeping the pesticides out of it. I love the ladder trellis; creative, handsome and free, my favorite trio of adjectives when it comes to gardening. Thanks for the delightful tour!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mama Tea-Thanks so much.

    Tall Clover Farm-no sprays or chemicals here. If you can't eat it or drink it-I won't put it on my food. Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  24. 39 degrees on the last day of June! Crazy... Love the trellis. It will be so sturdy too--some are so flimsy. Really cute idea for the miniature garden! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Luv that trellis, Sue, and know that I'm chuckling at your 40's, 50's, 90... for you know how it is in the PNW. Your gardens look wonderful and of course I'm fond of those veggies. ;) Love that Agribon too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kelly and Diana-thanks so much for your kind comments and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Always a joy to see your garden. Poo...Poo...to your nosy neighbor...there is always someone who has to know better...or think that they do. Really one look at your garden says you know what your doing!
    I am turning green with envy on your temps...and your trellis...and your wagon...know I know what to do with our rusty old thing...

    With all That I Am

    Carrie "Forrest-Dweller" Duvall
    The Handmade Homemaker

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, wow, and wow. Cool trellis, cooler wagon garden, and somebody needs to ' just spray' the neighbor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. There are so many cool things in this post, I'll have to scroll back to remember what I wanted to comment on. First, I really enjoyed the difference a month made in your flower bed. I want to show that cool ladder structure to my husband. I don't think we have a spot for one, but maybe if we used shorter ladders it would work. I should check on that fabric, too.

    I love your little garden in the wagon! Oh, and look at those pretty strawberries you have had your fill of.

    ReplyDelete