A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

It's Spring--Somewhere.........

Happy Spring!
I've so enjoyed catching up with your blogs and seeing what's growing in your gardens. Though it was in the 70's and 80's while we were gone in March, seasonal temps are back .... highs in the 50's for days and nightime temps in the 20's. Anything that started growing in the freakish March temps has been killed back . Fruit trees will NOT be bearing this year. So sad.
The South West border that received Donkey Doo last year is partially ready to plant.
There are STILL lilies rising up from the depths. I continue to chop them off. Eventually they HAVE to give up. Don't they?????
The sidewalk border is starting to grow. I'm keeping my Perovskia covered with crates and buckets against the nightly freezes. They came up a bit too early this year.
A view from above of the kitchen window bed I planted last year.
And this is what I've worked on since coming home from Arizona. The final 20x30 foot section on the west side of the house. ALL hand-dug out to a 6" depth. The final patch of invasive junk planted by the previous owner. No more ditch lilies, lamium, aegopodium. I didn't even attempt to sheet mulch this after the disaster last year with the SW bed. Nope. All hand dug and removed.
From above--the right side of the bed now filled with 8 truckloads of "Doo"
The Left side of the new bed from above. It's really going to be a great planting area.
And the view of the new bed from the north looking south.
Since I have NO spring blooms, I'm planning to do this bed with lots of bulbs and perhaps a small pond-if I can figure out how to keep the wild turkeys OUT of this area. I have a full year to figure it out while this section breaks down and composts.