A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

 I think the neighbors are thinking it's the end of the world.  For the first time since we moved here,
there are NO BLUE TARPS in the yard.
 I got another section of the west border prepped this week and removed the tarps this very morning.
We topped off some low spots with a fresh batch of "Donkey Doo" and the west side is officially ready to plant next spring. It is my ONLY spot on the property with shade. I'm excited and terrified at the same time. I've never had a shady area to plant before. My head is swimming with ideas.

 The section that was prepped last year has been planted with winter sown perennials I raised from seed and a couple of clumps of iris from a neighbor. I have Phlox, Lupine, Foxglove and Hollyhocks in this section. By summers end, I'm hoping it will fill in just a bit.


 In the vegetable garden, everything is being started from seeds directly sown outside. Risky, yes, but since we will be gone, I figured things started from seed will germinate if conditions are right. Transplants would need watering, and the housesitter was very clear that he would be happy to shoot trespassers and generally keep up with the house but as he so eloquently put it "I  DON'T WATER NO DAMN PLANTS."   A bit gruff, I suppose, but he does take excellent care of the place while we are away. So, seeds it is.  I sure hope Mother Nature conjures up rain twice a week, an inch or two, please. Ha. Haha. Hahahahahahahha.


I got the tomato towers in place. Do they ever look "empty".


The only "plants" planted are the onions, which tend to like it a bit dry anyways and my broccoli/cauliflower/cabbages/and brussels sprouts are covered under tunnels and heavily mulched. They should be fine too.

My favorite flower of spring.
I'm glad it bloomed before we leave.
As you all know, I'll be doing my darndest to keep up with your blogs. I still get up WAY too early, vacation or not.  Hope you all have a wonderful spring. I'll "see" you in a month. And with a bit (LOT)of luck, I'll have a garden to show you then.