A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

July-- End of the Month Roundup


August 1st ????
July is over with and I'm glad. What a lousy month, weatherwise.

We had 12 days in the 90's---our average high is supposed to be upper 70's.
We had 5 days in the upper 80's.
Blech.

Rainfall totals look REALLY impressive for the month, until you consider how it fell. We had a bad drought all month-rain came at the very start and very end of the month. NOTHING in between. Bad news with sandy soil. 

7/3  1.35"

7/26  2.15"

7/27  .9"

7/31  .9"

Total July rainfall:  5.3" 
Lawn in many parts has still not recovered. It is a sea of brown.

Harvests for the month included
Garlic July 10
Blueberries--the whole month
Green beans started July 16
Cukes starting 7/23
Harvested all onions 7/24
Cabbage 7/30
Celery  starting 7/30
And the biggest news (and smallest harvest)
CORN!  7/30

Only one ear so far was ready. I split it with Hubby . I'm not going to say it was GREAT, but for up north, it was pretty tasty.  There's a lot out there--it's just not quite done.

Still waiting on tomatoes and peppers. The brandywine is not cranking out many. The yellow pear is loaded--they're just not ripening. The beefsteak is loaded with green tomatoes. And the Rutgers in the 99 cent garden are quite loaded with tomatoes.  They're just NOT ripening. Sigh.

 The most satisying feeling on earth--potato soup made with ALL vegetables picked fresh from the garden.

Though harvests have been spotty and small, that's expected this year because of travels.
I did get all the onions and garlic I need for the next year.
Potatoes are being harvested on an "as-needed" basis until the cellar cools down . I hope to have enough of those for the winter. You never know with taters until it's time to dig.

I'll have enough green beans, broccoli, celery, and herbs for the year also.

The carrot harvest is enough for fresh eating but not enough for storage.

There was no cauliflower this year to freeze--it bolted in the heat.

There was only enough blueberries for fresh eating--about 2 cups a day.

There are no pumpkins this year.

There will be NO peaches/apples/grapes this fall due to early warm up and hard freeze after that this crazy crazy spring.

Tomatoes and peppers LOOK like they'll be sufficient. Unless disaster hits. It's too early to tell.
I've got TONS of melons forming and also butternut squash to use as "trade" with neighbors.
And the corn, (Please Hurry!!), looks like a good batch too.

So, the weather has been atrocious for me, but okay for the garden.

The perennial beds have been a disaster this year--the deer continue their rampage. 

I miss having all my pots/tubs/and barrels of annuals, but travel in June and also coming up this fall  meant I couldn't have them.
So, it's a flower-less year.
But, drumroll please, there is always----

NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

And THAT thought keeps me going.......

Have a wonderful week................





30 comments:

  1. the corn looks perfect! I love looking at curing garlic, I need to remember to plant this fall, I forgot my order last fall and didn't plant but luckily I had a bumper crop the year before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin-isn't it funny what makes us smile?-I like laundry hanging on a line, onions drying, and yup-curing garlic. It's a good feeling.

      Delete
  2. Yes, there is always next year. That's been my mantra for a while now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anke-I think it's just about EVERYONE'S mantra. Well, except for Annie's Granny. She ALWAYS has a great garden. I'd say something mean, but she's nice too. Crap.
      :D

      Delete
  3. I was feeling really sorry for you until you posted those temps and rainfall! You had it much better than I did, with 18 days in the 90s, 4 days in the 100s and .60 inches of rain for the entire month. We actually had more than 4 days over 100, as our temp usually runs 4-8 degrees above the forecast. Our irrigation water is our savior here. You got celery, too....mine was a bust. It never got much fatter than a matchstick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a whiney wimp though. Not tough as nails. So I have to, by law, have a pity party. I may have celery....but you got carrots. Every year is different, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. As usual - amazing! And you are so darned organized! I don't even know what day it is and you know the weather from all of July! I need to keep better notes - like Sue!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a term for me---a bit obsessive. I do take notes--and lots of them because I finally realized, I can't remember much of anything anymore........

      Delete
  5. Can't remember ,that's my middle name--lol-I went to buy a new BIGGER white board to look me in the face daily ,for that reason alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy-I have yellow sticky notes covering most surfaces of the house. AND a big white board in the garage. And STILL I forget a lot. When they were passing out brains, I thought they said trains......LOL!

      Delete
  6. That's a great list of your harvests. Cute that you split the ear of corn.
    I'll pass commenting on your MILD temperatures. Ha!
    I feel for you with the deer problem. That just tanks since you didn't put out containers. Do they bother the containers other years??
    Next year, next year, next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, next year.
      Next year you will have a cool and rainy summer
      Next year, I will be back to wearing flannel shirts!
      and NEXT YEAR---the BEST garden EVER!
      :)

      Delete
  7. Next year! lol It may be just as hot as this year! Hard to garden when it is hot and no rain. We have clay soil instead of sandy! You still look like you got a wonderful crop and so organized!!!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't say that!!!
      :D
      I'm telling myself 70 and rain every 4th day!

      Delete
  8. The tomatoes on my plants have stopped ripening as well except for the cherries. The apple orchard will have the smallest crop of apples yet. Just as you said,,,early blossoms and then rain and too cold of temps. At least no disasters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so fortunate to still have some apples. I haven't seen a tree anywhere in this area with any. Such a shame. No applesauce for the freezer!
      :(

      Delete
  9. I am glad to hear you will have a pretty good veggie harvest. Too bad about the flowers, but like you said, there is always next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And next year, if those deer return, Sue will be taking up deer hunting--
      ;)

      Delete
    2. I was going to ask how the venison tasted ;-)

      Delete
    3. AG--you mischief maker. I'm giving them a notice--but come
      NEXT YEAR (!!!), I won't be so nice to them-LOL!

      Delete
  10. Oh, you have my heartfelt sympathies regarding the deer. Your poor sidewalk border. :-( They have ravaged my veg and flower beds this year. Tender tree and shrub growth - eaten. Sprouts - trampled. Honestly, it hasn't been the drought, heat and wind that's done me in this year. Like you - it's the deer! I'd wouldn't mind them coming, though, if we were allowed to eat them. But nooo-ooo.

    I chant the mantra with you: "Next year..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris-thanks for joining the "next year" club-LOL! I think ANYTHING would be better than this!
      :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Sue,
    You did get a pretty good harvest this year, better than mine. We did not get a very good potato harvest. I thought it would be better since I remembered to hill it, but I think the heat got to the plants. The rabbits have been bad this year, and just the other day, they ate the tops off of my pepper plants that are across the street. The ones at home aren't growing as large as the ones across the street were. I am not pleased!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, those "wascally" wabbits! They have now joined my small herd of deer in lopping off my flowers. Sue, I am not pleased either!
      :(

      Delete
  12. It's been a while and I've enjoyed catching up on both your blogs. You most certainly have a fantastic garden... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you left a comment--I "lost" so many of the blogs I used to read and sometimes I'll refind one (yay~!!)

      Thank you!
      :)

      Delete
  13. Sounds like our weather but we have yet to get a good amount of rain. Next to no apples here as well, I always look forward to picking apples.... The u-pick place here says you can come pick from a crate from elsewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan-Ha! Good one--at least they have a sense of humor!
      I do feel so bad for our local growers though. It's been a heck of a year for them--no cherries, peaches, apples. The governor has declared it a disaster. Hopefully this year is just a fluke....

      Delete