A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Garden Plans for 2013

 Fruit Garden Plan --- Includes new planting area where raspberries used to be.  I've FINALLY moved them out of the garden. We rarely got to enjoy them--they were fall bearing and we usually had a killing frost before they matured.  I've ordered summer-bearing varieties (early, mid, and late) from Nourse which are scheduled to deliver in May.  They will be planted OUT of the garden.

I also ordered 2 more Chandler blueberries from Nourse to be delivered in May.  I am removing 2 out of the 5 Patriot blueberry bushes as they are not doing well . I'm glad. We MUCH prefer the Chandlers.


Vegetable Garden plan.   I'm adding in another ever-bearing strawberry this year and removing the Cabots that were put in in 2008 after they are done bearing.

I'm putting in a third bed of Yukon Gold potatoes this year. We can't seem to get enough of those. I used the last of them in February and we've been reduced to buying them at the Organic co-op in Traverse City---an outrageous $1.99 a pound. Yikes!
I'm also trying sweet potatoes from slips grown at home. I don't know how well that will work, but I have the extra space so I feel it's worth a try.

Not shown are peas, which will be grown up the trellises that run down the center aisle.

I'm hoping to get both a spring and fall crop of broccoli in again this year. We ran out of that this winter. 
Hopefully this year will be kinder to the cauliflower.  Last summer was ungodly hot and it bolted so we didn't have ANY for the freezer.  I'm currently paying $3.49 a head for organic at Meijer. Ugh!


The first day of Spring was VERY un-springlike.  We got a total of 6 inches during the day. Today is snowing heavily as well.  Temps for the final week of March are forecast to be in the 30's /20's.
We had no winter in December/January.   Seems it's giving us all our snow in February/March.  I think it's going to be a late start for even the salad fixings.

I did manage to wade through the snow and get a cold frame set up last week. The snow is melted in the bed and warming up slowly. Now if it would just quit snowing, I could get that spinach going......