A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Let the Planting Begin!

It seems spring cannot make up it's mind this year--the weather has been a roller coaster of temperatures.  Mother's Day weekend included plenty of wind and SNOW.  I'm sure that put a damper on many picnics, as well as treks to area garden centers.  But, a few days of warmth and sunshine and all is forgiven.

I got the onions planted--I ended up with 135 in the bed--which will give me plenty for the year.  Dixondale was generous as always with the bunches, and I ended up giving the rest to neighbor Darby down the road.  It didn't even look like I had touched the bunches. I'm sure she could plant twice that many and still have plenty to share!  She gave me 2 dozen of her gorgeous organic eggs in return. Can't beat that!

I'm hoping to get the potatoes planted this week, but top priority will be given to orders from Nourse Farms (3 kinds of raspberries, a couple more blueberry bushes and another variety of ever-bearing strawberry) and BlueStone Perennials that are due to arrive this week.  

The only thing growing so far is lettuce, radish, spinach, garlic, and sugar snap peas. I can't recall ever having so little going on in the garden at this point in May.
The good thing is everything is prepped and ready--so it will just be a matter of getting things into the ground.