A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Monday, July 1, 2013

End of the Month Roundup-June

Have you EVER seen a more barren garden on the first of July????



 June had 20 days of sun, highs on average in the 70's, and lows mostly in the 40's.
The rain, which totaled 3.3" for the month, fell at the beginning and the end of the month....nothing in between.  The majority of that fell in one hour, on the 26th.  Most of that ran off, because the sand was so dry, it actually repelled the rain.  Sigh.

 The garden continues to frustrate me.   We had snow on Mother's Day--so the cool weather crops got off to a slow start.  Then it heated up and they bolted.  However , the soil temps remain cold, and so the heat loving crops have , for the most part, rotted in the ground without ever germinating.

 The only thing truly happy in the garden this year seems to be onions and potatoes and garlic.
Hashbrowns, anyone?

 This shows how poorly the corn did.  This is 120 seeds.   I replanted.  Those rotted as well.

 The blueberries are loaded though, and I'm happy about that.  Next month, I'm sure Mrs. Robin will be patrolling the patch .   I have so little growing,  she's in for a fight this year! 

 Strawberries finally coming in.  They are 2 weeks later than last year.  Also curious is the fact that all 4 varieties are ripening at the same time, despite the fact that I selected early, mid, and late bearers to space out the harvest.  Sigh.

 A big surprise was this Joe Pye plant, which wasn't even up June 1st, but it is now 6 feet tall.  Oh, why can't the corn grow that fast!  I could replant. 
Sigh.


 The foxglove continue blooming and are fantastic...........just a bit shorter than I would have liked.


 In the sidewalk border, I put my newest Dahlia--- 'Who Dun It', but it is supposed to be purple and white.  I'm not complaining---this one is GORGEOUS--more pink than purple--and I'm a huge fan of pink.  I'll be anxiously awaiting this one when it fills out a bit.

 A view from the driveway to the house.

Yet another problem this year is bugs. I have never had much of a problem with them, but this year, every flower stalk is coated with all sorts of creepy crawlies.  Gardeners love a challenge, but this spring has really tried my patience.   I have NO green beans, corn, carrots, cauliflower or melons.  The lettuce and spinach only had 2 cuttings before they bolted.    I am replanting the beans and carrots. The cauliflower will be replanted  mid month for hopefully a fall crop.  Other than that--I won't have time.

Hope your gardens are doing better.  Have a great week.