A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Monday, June 2, 2014

End of the Month Round Up May 2014


The Vegetable Garden June 1, 2014


We had plentiful rains for the first couple of weeks this month.
May 1-3        .60"
May 4-10    1.15"
May 11-17  1.35"  plus a light snow on May 16
May 18-31  NOTHING.   Everything dry as toast.


We did some travelling the first week of May---went antiquing in Ohio  for a few days, and then went to Indiana for a couple of days to see my friend Susan.  She took me to  Linton's  Enchanted Gardens. What a great time--and so many interesting things to see.  I will definately make that an annual destination.
Friend Susan in one of the many little houses at Linton's

May 8--Got busy sowing the "tenders" into coir pots.  Sowed Bottle gourds, Howden and Small Sugar Pie pumpkings, Butternut, Acorn,  and Patty Pan squash,  Golden Gopher and Hearts of Gold canteloupes and also lots of cosmos and zinnias.  They were put under grow lights.

May 9--I sowed Trellis #2  of Sugar Snap peas --and they germinated May 19--10 days.  The first trellis full had just popped up. Those were sowed April 19--it took 21 days to germinate!!  I don't think I need to "rush" to get peas in early. They take forever to come up when sown in April.  Better to wait until May.

Also planted LOTS of carrots. Four separate types--Danvers, Dragon, Mokums, and St. Valery

May 14-- I went "Greenhouse-ing" with friend Carol.   This was the first year I went with her--usually I go with cranky Dolores.  I had so much fun.  I picked up several flats of flowers and I found four new succulents to add to my collection.
                   
New Succulents on the left.  Sweet Potato starts I grew from vine I had in water all winter, and basils on the right.
May 14 also happened to be the only NICE day that whole week.   We had rain 5 out of 7 days.

May 16-- it SNOWED.  Not much, but enough to cover most things and guarantee yet another year of no lilacs.  They had just started to form buds.  What a shame. If only it would kill dandelions like it does other flowers!

May 17-Planted Arcadia and Calabrese broccoli,  100 Copra onions, and Yukon Gold potatoes.

May 19 - Hauled "Donkey Doo" ---7 truckloads.  Used  it all to establish another row of blueberries.
       
Fresh "Doo" on the left, Last Years Haul on the Right
May 21-Planted second batch of all varieties of  carrots.  Only St. Valery carrots had not yet come up from the first batch I sowed.  It's been cold, so I'm not concerned....yet.

It's looking like a bad garage sale in the garden, but if it's not covered, it's bird food!
May 24  was by far the most gorgeous weather we've had yet and I spent the day planting up some tubs --they can be hauled into the garage when frost is called for.  It's hard to resist the urge to start planting, but 7 years here has taught me well.....we ALWAYS get a frost around June 4 or 5.

May 26  -- Planted corn---2 small blocks .     Also--first bed of Yukons is popping up!

May 26-29   Hell Week---all doctor/dentist/eye doctor appts so no gardening

May 30-- Plant Plant Plant Flowers.   Then Plant some more.  All tubs/barrels/windowboxes  and misc planters, the sidewalk border,  and all the south sides of the raised beds in the vegetable garden.

May 31--Planted tomatoes--Brandywine, Jetstar,  Yellow Pear , and Matt's Wild Cherry
               Also planted :  Cauliflower,  Kohlrabi, Tom Thumb lettuce, Jalapeno Pepper, Kale, and more
                      shallots

Potatoes are ALL coming up--both Yukon and Red Pontiacs.
Onions look really really good
Something eating the heck out of my spinach and several of my broccoli plants.  Can't find the culprit and
I know it's not the birds---these things were all covered.  Frustrating!

Alium and Bleeding Heart are blooming right now

The Lilac Bush is spectacular this year
New Topiary Tree outside the back door with herbs in buckets

Looking from the door to the driveway

Looking from the driveway to the west side of the house