A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Friday, February 20, 2015

February Temps......and Seed Starting


February is always our coldest month.  March might have a few below zero days, but just a couple.
Yesterday's high hit ZERO.  It doesn't bother us, as long as the wind stays down.  We still manage our morning walks and DH spends most of the rest of the morning outside feeding the birds, etc.

I will be SO GLAD when it doesn't take 10 minutes to get ready for a walk.   C'mon spring!

In other news, my seedstarting has started.
Is the anything cuter than baby lavenders? And they smell so good already!

Lemon Grass starting to poke up

Sixteen geraniums rooted so far, with at least two dozen more to go.......

I'm so mad at myself for trying to use 4 year old seeds for my ornamental grasses. After 3 weeks, there is no sign of germination.  Even if I order fresh seed now, by the time it arrives and germinates, it will be too late to get the size of plants I wanted.  I could kick myself. I really sort of knew this would be the case, but I didn't want to spend the extra $30 for seeds.  Now, if I want those plants (and I do!), I'll have to spend close to $200.  IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!   And lesson learned.  FRESH SEED at least every 2 years.

Also wanted to mention that I am having a terrible time posting comments to some of your blogs---and often the posts don't "update" on my reader either.   If you know I regularly post comments , please know that I have been.  This problem is most apparent on John's Blog and Susan's blog.
Sometimes the comments appear MUCH later, and sometimes not at all.  Please let me know if you know what is doing this or what can be done.

Hope you have a terrific weekend.  Happy seeding!