A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Happy Spring and March "Doings"..........

A Large Flock of Canadian Geese 

Hubby trying to spot something, anything.  We were late for the Snow Geese and too early for the Sandhill cranes.
Hubby realizes he forgot to wave. God, I LOVE Nebraska.  Why can't all people be as friendly??!!
Hubby and I ventured out to Nebraska the first part of the month.  Though the migrations were not
as spectacular as in past years, it was just good to be out and about and enjoying 70's and sunshine.
I didn't want to come home.  We met some really wonderful people and I even had a rye bread recipe
waiting in the mail when we got home. I mentioned to a very nice lady how I was still searching for
that "perfect substitute for Beef Steak Rye" and so I am anxious to try this recipe. Hubby LOVES his sandwiches!


March 20  First day of Spring--and I spent the whole morning outside. Despite being cold, it was perfect for setting up a cold frame, starting the massive job of cutting down all the flower stalks and also  organizing my work space in the garage.  What a mess. I had literally just tossed all the Christmas  decorations, etc in there willy nilly and it took a few hours to clear the work areas. I'm ready for the spring madness now.

Inside---the geranium cuttings are doing great. Many are starting to bloom and I am enjoying that
    burst of color.


March 21--Sowed Kale, 9 pk

March 24--Sowed One Flat of Salvia 'Victoria Blue'---it's one of 3 plants deer don't eat at my house

March 25--It rained today.  Rain...  Not Snow.....It's a Miracle.  Captured several buckets of rain
                    water for my houseplants
                 Sowed: Oregano, and Basils--Cinnamon, Lemon, and Sweet Basil

March 26 --SNOW.   Really?????????

March 27-- Daytime high--20 degrees.  Spring?  Where??
                   Sowed Tomatoes:  Brandywine, Jetsetter, SuperSweet 100, and Yellow Pear

March 28--Last nights'  low was MINUS 1.  Yup. Sounds like spring to me!

March 29--Sunny and 35 degrees---so I spent the morning in the garden snapping off sunflower
                  stalks and doing a bit of clean-up.  Winds started up and I lost interest.
                  Snow arrived in the evening.   Boo. Hiss.

March 30--Light snow.  Sigh.

March 31--Awoke to more snow.  I give up. Spring is a myth.

SEEDLINGS--March 31---

BASILS--, only the Sweet Basil and Blue Spice sprouted. Cinnamon and Lemon basil seed was
   old and I should have known better.

CELERY--Doing well, but didn't plant enough....only a 4 pk---what was I thinking?

PARSLEY--Flat and Curly are doing good.

PEPPER--seedlings doing well.

TOMATOES-- starting to come up--Jetsetter seed from friend Miriam was the winner for fastest
  germination--3 days.

Well, outside it might not seem as if spring will ever arrive, but inside--the garden grows!

Hope you all are enjoying getting outside again.  Have a good month!

March 31, 2015









31 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you still have snow. :-( The older I get, the less I like being cold. I love to look at pictures of snowy landscapes, but don't really need to see it for myself too often. Up until a few years ago I never understood why people move to Florida (or warmer areas) when they retire, now I'm starting to get it. ;-) I am glad your indoor garden is thriving and hope you'll get to spend more time outdoors soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anke----I agree---all my neighbors "winter" in Florida. I used to make fun of them. Now, I'm seriously thinking of going to Nebraska for March from now on. Loved that warmth and sunshine!
      Happy Easter

      Delete
  2. Yep. I can relate. I can so relate. You have a little more snow than we do this morning. Wintry mix forecast for us today so we may catch up. Or else it will be freezing rain. And why is it that we choose to live in a spring-less climate?? If we can just make it through this unkind time of year (!), you know our gardens will be spectacular. Right? RIGHT!?

    Love these monthly posts of yours. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Mama Pea---of course our gardens will be the best ever!!! It has to be---we're getting all that FREE FERTILZER!! (As a wise and wonderful lady once told me!)
      Have a good week, dear lady

      Delete
  3. Hi Sue, the Nebraska trip sounds great..I have to check it out some time.. Sounds like your garden is coming along nicely.. If only the snow would go away and the temps would rise.. Keeping my fingers crossed, I am wishing for warm weather from now on.. Have a happy day and week ahead! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen---I hope you do go out there---perhaps we could meet up some March?? I sure intend to try and find a rental out there from now on. This is one month of winter tooooo long!
      Happy Easter to you and hubby as well.
      :)

      Delete
  4. You can send some snow this way please... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani---I'd be happy to send you some. Unfortunately, I don't think it would arrive in the condition you are hoping for!
      Have a wonderful week
      :)

      Delete
  5. Sue, sorry you missed the cranes. You might have noticed that Nebraska is very dry this March. In fact we have been under a fire alert for a couple weeks. We've already had one out of control grass fire out by Grand Island. Hopefully, that will be the only one. The lawns are just now starting to green up. There's a possibility that we will get more much needed rain tomorrow. Hopefully, you weather will start co operating with the season.

    Have a great soon to be over wintery snow Spring day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David---I see you're under Fire Danger. I was hoping your droughty conditions would let up this year. Keeping my fingers crossed you get some much needed rain---it's a great way to start up the garden season with some nicely moistened soil. Have a wonderful Easter.

      Delete
  6. Oh, you are funny! I think we are going to get one 60F+ degree day this week (have marked it on the calendar as I am SO looking forward to it!), but otherwise, nothing but cold...and a blizzard a couple of nights ago.

    You should look at my garage - we have entire sections of shelving that are completely inaccessible with all the stuff that's been thrown in front of them. I'm a much bigger cold wimp than you as I'm waiting until it gets reasonably warm outside to get things done in there. Yeah - and my Christmas decorations are actually still hanging on the fence/porch...last year some of them were stuck in the ice, so at least I had a good reason ;)

    Enjoy the balmy day (wish that was plural) to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret! As organized as your notes are, I cannot fathom you junking up your space.
      I guess you'll have to carve out a nice sunny day and put on some good tunes and get cracking on that. Gotta have room to pot up stuff!!
      :D

      Delete
  7. I loved this post! I could totally relate - except for the sowing of the seeds (I'm way behind) and the rain. All our rain was white and fluffy. I hate winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan---What are you doing here????
      Aren't you supposed to be resting up and GETTING BETTER?????
      Don't you know how many critters are depending on you?

      And I am hating winter very very very much too!
      Hope you're feeling better
      Hugs!

      Delete
  8. Don't know what to say other than what the pioneers said - "Go West!!".... After hitting 82 here last week, we are having a bit of a cool down but the sun is shining! Hang in there, you crazy gardener - even with your weather issues, you are still planting. Gumption - you have gumption!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 2 Tramps.
      Go west?
      I wish.
      Hope you've been able to get things going in the garden. Is that the "S" word I see in your forecast Next Tuesday??? Please, do NOT share the love on that one. I've had enough!!

      Delete
    2. Great... I had not looked that far ahead... Sure looks like a downturn in the weather coming our way. But it won't be cold enough to stick for long. And our weather changes so fast here - snow out one window, sun out the other. Will see what happens - thanks for the warning!

      Delete
  9. Ok - Now I feel bad. I've been whining pretty heavily about our sub-freezing nights and 40 to 50 degree days. Upon hearing how your winter is still hanging on I've pretty much lost all my whining privileges. I'm just gonna have to buck up, deal with it, and start getting those beds and plots cleared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark--I kinda feel bad too---a fella from Maine whose blog I read has never even seen the ground yet this year. Though it's frustrating to lose the snow, and then get more, it's gotta be a whole lot worse having never lost the snow yet at all. I try and look at it as good moisture, but enough already--LOL!

      Delete
  10. Winter is my arch nemesis. I still have NO seedlings...I need to get my act together. If not I shall garden vicariously through your endeavors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Tonya--maybe this will just have to be one of those "laid back" years for you. But, you MUST at least buy a pretty potful of flowers to brighten the front porch. It will make you smile every time you come home. Have a wonderful weekend---and go cook something nice in your lovely new kitchen.

      Delete
  11. Way ahead of me- I'll start indoor seeds later this month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John-hopefully you'll put some info on your blog?
      Starting seeds early helps me keep from going cuckoo waiting for spring

      Delete
  12. Yuck. Sorry the cold weather has kept hanging on. I hope April has started out better for you. It's been warm here and we were able to get a couple of large gardens planted over the last two days.

    The "forgot to wave" photo makes me smile. I had a friend whose family moved from the city to rural Tennessee. He told me his mother would "freak out" when the drivers of passing cars waved. And I once read an interview with someone who had left a high-powered corporate job to do a one year internship at Polyface Farm. He said two things especially stuck out to him about his time there: saying grace before meals and waving at people you passed on the road. Those two things (which are part of normal everyday life here) struck him as strange rituals from another culture. lol.
    Happy April!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning, Bill
      Yup-hubby LOVES Nebraska and the friendliness of it. Our part of Michigan is VERY odd for us--no one smiles or waves or anything. We call our nearest town "Frown Town". How very sad for these people. We are known as "The Happy Couple" everywhere we go. People always remember us--I guess that's good. But, it doesn't seem to rub off.......I guess it's just "their way".........

      Delete
  13. Wow, I just got done looking through most of your blog posts, because I couldn't stop!! You have a fantastic garden and landscape!! Thanks for sharing all of your tips and I will be back to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica. Have a wonderful Easter

      Delete
  14. Spring is a myth--love it. At least you're growing something.
    More waves in the more rural areas in KS too. I laugh when I notice my hubby waving at night--um, dear, they can't see you waving at this hour.
    Sorry you missed the cranes. They were probably still more south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GonSS-Waving at night? Now that's funny!
      Have a happy Easter!

      Delete
  15. Love your blog - and was about to nominate you for the Versatile Blogger Award, but then I saw your 'Award Free Blog' picture - does this mean you do not want to be nominated for an award? xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I planted Victorian Blue Saliva this year around my walk this year. I thought finished was I had that bed finished but no it did not work out. I will see.

    ReplyDelete