A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

April "Doings"--so far.

The camera focused on the branches, but you can see his white back 


April 1--NO FOOL---We had an ALBINO black capped Chickadee at our feeders. It was early                          morning-- barely light. The quality of the pic is horrible, but you can see the whiteness.


April 2 --Awoke to 54 degrees.  That was all I needed to get started in the garden.  Hubby and I spent
              the morning with the chipper/shredder grinding up all the sunflower stalks and corn stalks.
              Note to self:  Next year just dump the corn stalks out back. Despite being very dry, the
                shredder kept clogging up. Corn stalks are VERY fibrous. Not worth the hassle.

April 5--Easter--Awoke to more snow. Free fertilizer. Free Fertilizer. Free Fertilizer (thanks to
               Mama Pea for that mantra. But, it is getting harder to be happy about the snow.......)
                Snapped a pic on our way out to visit friends for a week. Glad to be leaving!
Pretty, but ENOUGH ALREADY!!!
April 6--Breakfast with Dot and Don. So much fun and so many laughs.  Three hours of sheer joy.
The Four Stooges!
April 7--Headed into Wisconsin to do some "waterfalling".  Water levels were good at all the places we went. Temps were in the low to mid 30's--fine for hiking.
Amnicon Falls State Park

Big Manitou Falls--Pattison State Park, WI

Little Manitou Falls--Pattison State Park, WI

We also knocked off THREE more Rustic Roads in NW Wisconsin
 Spent the night in St.Croix Falls, WI

April 8--More waterfalls, hiking, and 2 more Rustic Roads. A very full and tiring day.
Cascade Falls, Osceola, Wi. 200 steps down, 84,326 steps back up. Or so it felt!

Willow River State Park--the waterfall made the long hike deep into a canyon well worth it.

Vermillion Falls, Hastings, MN--just a short walk. It's in town, next to a ConAgra plant.
April 9--Antiquing in Mt Vernon, IA--one of the U.S.' Top Ten Cool Towns. Well, I don't know
              about that, but they do have nice antique stores and a very nice little park made from
              an abandoned quarry. We spent some time watching the geese before heading to the
              Mississippi River. Took The Great River Road all the way up to Savanna, IL.
             Crossed back into Iowa at Sabula. Lots of fun watching the pelicans and cormorants fight.
Pelicans (My favorite!) and cormorants fighting
April 10--Tried going to hiking at White Pine Hollow but heavy rains the night before made the
                  trails a muddy nightmare.
                Next Stop--Pikes Peak State Park.  Nice walk on a boardwalk --lots of steps  and a cute
                 little waterfall-Bridal Veil falls.

Bridal Veil Falls
 Next stop was Effigy Mounds---still on the Iowa side of the Mississippi.  Incredible views after
 an exhausting hike up into the bluffs.  Well worth it, though at times, I found out what
"accelerated heartbeat" meant. Whew. It's been a LONG winter!
The views from Pikes Peak lookout

Hubby on the hike up to Effigy Mounds, waiting for me to catch my breath!

The Views were totally worth it!



29 comments:

  1. Hello Sue, I could go the rest of my life and not miss snow, lol! Gorgeous waterfalls, my hubby would love to see all of them.. I like the shot of you, hubby and your friends. Sounds like a nice get together.. The last scene is awesome, what a view! Have a happy day! PS, thank for visiting and the comment..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen--I sure hope you get your wish. Maybe there is somewhere out west that would be warmer for you, but within distance of stuff hubby likes? Keep me posted!!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you saw some amazing things!! The area is beautiful and I'm glad you got to enjoy this trip. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that the snow has said his final goodbye for this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anke---today was in the 60's and we got to work outside all day---it's been wonderful!

      Delete
  3. Sue, it is good to be outside again, isn't it. Winter seemed to be long and harsh this year but finally the days are beginning to be warm and plants are breaking their Winter slumber. I agree with Winter taking the physical endurance away. The life of ease and rest is not necessarily the best for gardeners. I still have a lot of work to accomplish before planting time in May. I do have potatoes planted and some radishes, lettuce, and onions but the bulk of stuff happens in May. We had a glorious well behaved thunder storm whiz past a couple days ago and finished filling the rain water tanks so now I am ready for the gardening season to begin.

    It looks like you really had a great time on your trip. Now that I have an aging (88) mother in law, I don't like to be very far away in case something would happen. At that age things can happen quickly. I'm not much for sight seeing any way and just like to be at home where life is simple and predicable. It's all part of my aging process, I guess. Anyway, life is good in Nebraska.

    Have a great outside in the garden day .... if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David---I did indeed get a great day outside today. But wow--you have things planted already--how wonderful. I'm jealous of that!

      Delete
  4. Wow - That is a LOT of doings! What a wonderful trip...I absolutely love hiking but unfortunately, my husband is nowhere near as enthusiastic about it as I am. His first priority is usually making sure we are going on one of the shorter trails ;)

    And a three hour breakfast with good friends - can't get better than that (as is evidenced by the look on all your faces!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret--I'm really lucky hubby is pretty easy going about most things. The only thing he won't do is fly in an airplane. Spoils my plans for a trip to Germany a bit with that!

      Delete
  5. Oh - love the snow - and the waterfalls... :) Bear with it - Spring will arrive soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dani---today was warm and wonderful. Snow is ALL gone now and though the nights are supposed to still be below freezing for at least 4 more weeks, just getting OUT makes it bearable!

      Delete
  6. An Albino Chickadee! What a sight! Gorgeous scenery you two travelers saw, even at this time of year.

    You can sure tell from the picture that you and hubby have been losing weight on your self-prescribed, healthier diet. You're an example for Porky Papa Pea and Muu-Muu Mama Pea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Pea---I don't buy that---you're probably a size 2??? I've seen pics of you two--YOU GUYS are the inspiration!

      We thought of you while we were out---we were with 15 miles of Superior/Duluth ---but I didn't want to ask you guys to come meet--I know you're not fond of "town".

      Delete
  7. So glad that you got away and had such a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, but.............you didn't show up in Dubuque!
      :(

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing all the waterfall photos. I am ready to see running water in any form. (We are really dry. :-(
    We visited Effigy Mounds one year. Yes the view is great!
    Glad you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GonSS--Oh no--dry again? I was really hoping you guys would be able to shake the drought.
      Keeping my fingers crossed you can get some much needed relief---it's gardening time, for goodness sake!!

      Delete
    2. We had one of the driest winters I've seen. I am keeping hope that some of my perennials are still coming, buI I think I lost a few. I've been running my soaker hoses. The city isn't talking more restrictions on watering yet. Last summer's rains did help our well field a lot. The best news is that we have rain in the forecast from tonight through the weekend. Not constant, but lots of chances. Hoping for it to happen. My rain barrels got set up last weekend. Currently, they have dust in them. Fingers crossed!!!

      Delete
  9. The albino chickadee is amazing. So are the waterfalls. We have some state parks with decent hiking, but you have to go a good ways north or south (about the same) from NE Indiana to find waterfalls. Neat stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark-thanks for stopping. Yea, Northern Indiana is short on waterfalls, but long on beauty. I have friends in Goshen and we love to visit and see all the beautiful farms. And you guys grow great corn!
      :)

      Delete
  10. What a great road trip to many of our favorite places from Pattison all the way to Pikes Peak &Effigy Mounds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TB
      We're hoping to get to Minney-soda to do a bunch later this year.....though I wonder if the waters would be as spectacular AFTER the spring thaw. Have a good week

      Delete
  11. Love the waterfalls. Looks like you have some excellent hiking trails. You're inspiring me to go hiking. :)

    Too bad you don't have a neighbor with goats or horses who would take those corn stalks off your hands. We toss ours into the pasture and they enjoy them. We've tried composting them before but they take a long time to decompose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill
      This was the first year I didn't cut down the stalks in the fall and I'm SO GLAD I didn't---they snapped right off at the base, were dried beautifully and ran through our chipper shredder in no time flat.

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous photos, and my town! I have relatives in NW WI and Hastings is only about 10 minutes from my hometown of Red Wing! Lovely to see the seasons that I'm missing in photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin--SO very good to see you back! We missed you!

      Delete
  13. That chickadee - so bizarre!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's sort of matching the snow we're having today.
      :(

      Delete
  14. Hi Sue,
    We rarely go out of town, so I always enjoy seeing photos like yours. I love the waterfalls!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope your veggies start growing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue
      I appreciate your visit--thanks for stopping.

      Delete