A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Thursday, June 4, 2015

End of the Month Roundup--May

We had plenty of rain this month--5.95 inches, about double our average.. My stock tanks are full to the rim---including a new one we added this year---a whopper with a 300 gallon capacity.  Hubby put a gutter on the back of the barn and it filled the next day when we had 3/4 inch of rain. Nice!!

Temps have been all over the place.  We had temps even into the 80's...but then we also hit 26 degrees on May 20,  28 degrees on May 22, and a low of 32 on May 30 and May 31.


So far in the vegetable garden , I have the potatoes, onions, shallots, Kale, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots coming up.
I planted the corn and bean seeds just a few days ago--and luckily nothing was up when cold weather hit once again.

The perennial beds are looking lush and healthy, though it's still too early for anything to bloom.  The deer are off having their young, so nothing has been chewed down.........yet.  I am trying Plantskyd this year---a grotesque mixture that looks like blood and smells terrible. I hope it works, though I'm not holding my breath.  Everything works for awhile, and then----not.

I'm taking a break for a few weeks. I will try and "pop in" on your blogs, but don't worry if I am
silent for a bit.  Hope you all have a fine summer. Enjoy!!