A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

End of the Month Round Up-July

Vegetable Garden July 31, 2016

Flowers amongst the Vegetables

Potatoes and Onions are already starting to "flop"



Wow-another month has come and gone already.  Where does the time go?
Harvests for storage for the year are already completed for garlic, red onions, and broccoli
Green beans are coming in fast and furious. It's a madhouse in the kitchen in the morning with
chopping, blanching, and packing things for the coming winter.
The Vegetable Garden "Explodes" into growth this month

Pumpkins, Sunflowers, and Corn 
Joe Pye, Agastache, Cleome, and Filipendula Rubrus are keeping the Hummingbirds happy on the East Side of the House

Out Front, Monarda, Heliopsis , Daisies, and Autumn Clematis Fill in 

Cart O' Petunias Filling in---wrapped in chicken wire against the deer

New Variety (for me) of Snapdragons---University Mix.  Very happy with them!

Petunias and Juncus in front of the garage
All right---that's pretty much what's going on here.  The following notes are for my reference.
Hope your August is filled with whatever makes you happy.  I'll see you next month for an update.
Happy Gardening!!



July had  19 sunny days. We had 4 inches RAIN   Temps were very warm. We had a very hot streak
   for most of the month--temps in the upper 80's.  Bugs were the worst I've seen in years.



July 1-7   Salads and Sugar Snap peas continue. Best year EVER for peas. I even have stockpiles
               in the refrigerator.  Best method for keeping those peas crisp and delicious--glass
                 refrigerator dishes with tight fitting lids!.  Even 2 weeks after harvest, they remain                            snappy and crisp!

July 1--RAIN--4/10 inch.

July 2-Sowed Row 6 of Mokum carrots and a row of buttercrunch lettuce.

July 6-  Good planning in February, a freezer, and a whole lotta restraint ensured my
             FAVORITE pie -European Truffle-for my birthday celebration.  I am lucky this
              is only available once a year or I would have serious weight issues.
900 calories of EXTREME chocolate!
Why yes-----yes it is!!
July 7--RAIN  7/10ths inch

July 8--RAIN   1/2 inch

July 9--Dahlia "Fleurel" from Longfield Gardens was ready for cutting.  FIrst year buying from them and I am very pleased. An excellent company with great customer service.
Dahlia Fleurel--in a TWO GALLON water can. MONSTER size bloom -a full 11 inches!


July 11--HARVESTED GARLIC--Persian Star and Chesnook Red.  Heads were pretty small.
              I'm a bit disappointed in the size, but I have plenty for the year.


July 12- RAIN -1/2 inch
             Combined with a LOT of heat and humidity, the corn shot up a lot today
Don standing in the corn patch. Second sowing of corn is behind him--about half the height.
 July 13--CUT DOWN SUGAR SNAPS.  I have 2 giant casserole dishes full in the fridge, plus
                   a few random vines left for in-garden snacking.

July 14--BROCCOLI--3 large heads (7-9 inches) ready.  Cut/blanched and in the freezer (7 pints)
             This is "Green Super Broccoli" from Fedco. Best broccoli I've ever grown. Compact
              plants, tight green buds that have held up to high heat. We'll see how side shoot production
                is.



 BLUEBERRIES!!!  Roughly 1 pound of the Patriots  They're bigger than last year.

July 15--RAIN  2/10 inch

July 16 -ZUCCHINI  joins the party.  First of the MOKUM CARROTS. 2 More Broccoli. 1 lb                       Blueberries
I also harvested the last of the garlic--the original variety (unknown) and of course, it's the
biggest heads and best quality of all three varieties.  Should have stuck with the original I guess.

Last of the garlic hanging in my "shop"


July 17   RAIN--1/2 inch
             Sowed 1 Row Valentine Mesclun Mix

July 18   Harvested : 2 heads broccoli, a large head romaine, misc lettuce, and a big bunch of Kale
                Not shown are another pound of Blueberries and another zucchini

July 19  Corn shot up from recent rains and is now as tall as me and is starting to send up tassels.
            Green beans flowering heavily

July 20  Harvested 5 heads broccoli (2 given to Carol, plus 6 bags for the freezer), misc mesclun,
               3 zucchini (2 to Carol, 1 for lunch!) and 2 pounds Patriot blueberries (not pictured)
                     
July 21  RAIN  1/4 inch. Hot and humid. Blech.
             Blue Ray blueberries begin. 2 pounds. Size is huge this year. Why?  Taste is outstanding.
             Zucchini

July 22  RED ONION harvest--pulled 1/2 of them, roughly 23, hung in garage to dry
                                           
            Two heads Broccoli, 1 pound BluRay blueberries, Zucchini
             92 and humid.  Can't say it enough---I HATE SUMMER

July 24  RAIN  2/10 inch
            CORN BEGINNING TO TASSEL
            FIRST OF THE  GREEN PEPPERS--3 large.. That beats last year's first harvest  by a full 3                  weeks!  (Freezer)
                     
         
          Blueberries now being picked daily --roughly 1 pound a day (Trying to conserve to keep it                   going)
          Zucchini

July 25  FIRST KOHLRABI

            3 more huge green peppers--freezer
            Zucchini
            and of course, blueberries-1 pound

July 26  Blueberries-1 pound
            Zucchini
         
July 27  Blueberries 1 pound
            First cutting of side shoots of broccoli--2  pint bags for the freezer
            Wait for it---------ZUCCHINI. LOL!
            1 Green Pepper for the freezer
            HOT and HUMID.

July 29 GREEN BEANS begin!

            Picked a dishpan FULL--11 pints in the freezer by 9 am!
            RAIN 1/4 inch
            Blueberries-BluRay-1 pound
            Yukon Gold potatoes-3 pounds snitched for Saturday's breakfast and lunch
            2 Kohlrabi
            Zucchini

July 30  Green Beans-6 pints for the freezer
             1 green pepper (freezer)
             2 cauliflower
             Broccoli--3 bags (freezer)
             2 pounds blueberries
             Zucchini

July 31  Green Beans-9 pints (freezer)  That puts me at 26 pints. I'm quitting with that---I still have
               5 pints left from last summer . This is the earliest I've ever been done.
            2 pounds blueberries
            CROOKNECK SQUASH--1st one
            

57 comments:

  1. I love all of your flowers. How do you use your Kolrabi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SmartAlex-Hubby eats them raw, just like an apple, and I like them sauteed with too much butter and salt!
      :)
      I've also started grating it raw into salads--and that's pretty good as well.

      Delete
  2. Wow, your garden is just amazing. The flowers are all just beautiful. The veggies are awesome, great harvest. The pie looks delicious, yum! We had a little heat wave in July too, feels like Florida in Maryland. Happy month of August to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen--speaking of Florida, were you LOOKING down there for a home? Haven't heard lately if you're still thinking of moving. As humid as it's been getting up here, I suppose you might as well. At least the winters are better! Have a great weekend

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks spectacular . I am battling weeds this week in mine. How do you deal with weeds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TT--I go out EVERY morning with my first cup of coffee, take a stroll, and pull anything that doesn't look edible or good in a vase.

      My vegetable beds are never turned, I just keep adding mulch on top, so any weeds that do pop up are minimal. Good luck
      :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, Sue, your gardens and flowers are BEAUTIFUL! Just beautiful.

    Love reading your "private" notes on what you're harvesting from the garden when. Still haven't picked our first blueberries, but soon. We actually took the day "off" today. Took care of the poultry, of course, but didn't do a lick of work in the garden. Feeling a little guilty . . . but there's always tomorrow. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Pea, thank you. And we NEED to stop feeling guilty about enjoying a day off. I think it restores our minds and bodies and gets us back on track. I know after a day "OUT", I am SO grateful to get back to the garden. Say "Quack" to the gang for me--teehee!

      Delete
  5. I love your daily diary and what a harvest. Isn't it amazing how quickly things begin to grow in the northern long days. It must keep you very busy in the kitchen. It's funny thinking our broc. and peas are winter crops. You just grow everything in the same season. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rock Rose-I so wish I had more of a season that what I do--twice the fun! But you're so right-the season is SHORT, but the long days more than make up for it (except tomatoes!) And before reading your blog, I didn't think anyone could grow in your climate. You certainly opened my eyes. Have a good week

      Delete
  6. Your photos are so beautiful. Everything looks healthy.
    Your Joe Pye is amazing. So tall!
    I see petunias in the cart. I know you need the protective screen. Still looks good.
    The petunias and juncus have a need old container. Beautiful.
    Happy Belated Birthday!!! That pie does look awesome.
    That dahlia is STUNNING!
    My garlic stalks are much dryer when I harvest than yours. Easier to hang it as you do with greener stalks. I had to set mine in the garage this year to keep our frequent rains from getting to it. Usually, I just let it lay on the patio behind the bench.
    You certainly should be busy stowing everything away for winter.
    Grow corn grow!
    Yea for the kohlrabi. I had one early and then the rest are growing much slower.
    Blueberries would be great to have, but I don't have space.
    Always enjoy your garden updates.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GonSS-thanks for the visit! My kohlrabi are coming in about 1 a day-which hubby informs me is JUST right!
      :)
      And I bet you're glad to dry garlic in the garage--it means rain!!! Yay!

      Delete
  7. Oh I just love your garden!! Flowers in amonst the veggies is so pretty. I planted some zinnias, marigolds and sunflowers in mine this year and I think it helped the veggies do better! Loved your new snapdragons. We sold our house and moved this past week. Next year I will be trying to see what and how much I can grow in a courtyard! Guess I was born with the love for playing in the dirt! Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures! Enjoy! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy-hope your move went smoothly. So hard to leave a garden, isn't it? But--that means NEW possibilities!! Looking forward to seeing what you do.
      Best of luck in your new home.

      Delete
  8. You've got some really beautiful flowers in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherlyn-Thank you. I am doing an "extra" post coming up just on the flowers since I've tried so many new dahlias, etc. Hope you come back for a look.
      Have a good week

      Delete
  9. Love the cart o'petunia's :)

    Wow, you certainly are busy harvesting. Your corn looks amazing I have tried growing corn for a couple of seasons, but we just don't have enough water to make then a successful crop :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani-hello! Corn does suck that water down. I don't water much, but have such a thick layer of compost on top that it holds the moisture through all our droughty conditions. It's the corn borers that I have the most trouble with. I NEED to get chickens!!
      :D

      Delete
  10. Your garden is really beautiful. Most of the activity in our kitchen at the moment he is preparing fruit for freezing although the peas have started to come thick and fast now and the beans are on the very edge of doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue-I've so admired your fruit harvests. I imagine that freezer of yours is filling quickly! Enjoy the bounty-it will be most welcome come winter!

      Delete
  11. I love how you mix flowers and veggies...in fact I have scrolled through this post a few times at least, like a stalker(yikes)!! Trying my best to take in lots of inspiration from you. I'll be off to my garden now to gather some of the stones that my husband stored in the barn - to use it as bed border just like you did! Next year, I'll grow more flowers in my veggie garden too:) Sue, I really appreciate your sharing your garden thru blogging...it's a lot of work specially as you are maintaining a big orderly garden too! Hope your day is nice today, one that is not too hot:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie-thanks so much for your very kind words. I truly appreciate it.
      Flowers make the garden such a great place to spend time in. So enjoyable to watch the birds and insects flitting about (though I wish they'd leave my berries alone!!)
      Happy Gardening

      Delete
  12. Your garden looks so amazing. I'm envious of your weed-free paths between the beds. Weeds just grow up through the mulch in ours. We're still mostly gardening with a tiller and tractor here but I'm seriously considering switching to the method you're using. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bill-The aisles are sand, and like a beach--everything burns off. Makes for some easy maintenance. The beds are deep mulched and never disturbed, so few weeds appear. Who'd have thought being lazy could make life easier
      in the garden!! Have a great week

      Delete
  13. My favorite part about these posts - besides your wonderful photos - is your notes. Those are very helpful (and NOT boring)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, you are making me pull my hair out. How on EARTH do you find time to slog through tedious notes on top of ALL you do??????????????
      You say you can't multitask? Ha! You are THE QUEEN of getting stuff done.
      Thanks for the visit
      :)

      Delete
  14. OMG - had to enlarge that pie photo...YUM! Your garden is looking amazing, as usual. I'll chime in on the summer heat as well...I would have moved to a hotter climate if I wanted hot and humid ALL the time. Practically every day since early June...UGH!!

    I'll be stealing your idea of using rocks around some perennial flowers in one of my veg areas...have a TON of rocks piled up from various digging projects over the years so it's great to finally have a use for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret!
      That pie is soooooooooo bad for me. I'm happy it only comes out once a year. We have to drive 400 miles to get it. Totally worth the gut rot as well!
      :D
      So you live in a rocky place too? They come in handy for so many things. Heck, you can build a house with them!!!
      :)
      Have a great week

      Delete
  15. Oh My! Your garden is doing so well. I love the flowers growing in with veggies. Food for the body and also the soul.
    Aren't beans just crazy the way they produce once they start? My rows are just short ones but still, it's beans every supper! ( I don't put any up for winter so it's eat them now or they get too big).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Granny! I could eat beans every day. I never get tired of them.
      Thanks for the visit-have a good week!

      Delete
  16. Oh, dear Sue, you are beyond amazing, girl! Everything looks just spectacular. The amount of super healthy food you grow is phenomenal. I so wish I was your neighbor.... I need to plant a Joe Pye - I say it every year and come spring I have forgotten about it. Remind me next year, okay?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 2 Tramps--wow, thank you. As for the Joe Pye, you live in a VERY dry climate (like we do) and it's a SWAMP plant, so you'll have to put it someplace that gets a TON of water. Mine is under the "drip line" of the roof, so it gets a steady supply of moisture from the metal roof.
      Best part of Joe Pye--the deer don't eat it!!!!!
      :D

      Delete
  17. Oh my gosh, Sue, do I wish we were neighbors! We'd have so much fun growin', pickin' and preppin'!
    Your garden always amazes me. Good to know about the refrigerator dishes for the snap peas. I got me some of them! ;0D
    As always, your garden is such a treat for the senses. Wish I could be wandering through it right now.
    Continued blessings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy, I wish we were neighbors too! What fun to trade this for that. Everyone seems to have their "strengths" in the garden-you know you'd be getting LOTS of blueberries from me! Have a terrific week. Hope you're feeling good.

      Delete
  18. Your garden is amazing. Going to look up Mokum carrots. Inspired to plant more flowers next year. Your pink and white at the end of the beds is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan-thank you! I'm gonna plant more flowers too!!!
      :D
      Seriously, though, it does help having them in there. I'm more apt to want to spend time in there if it's pretty. ANd wow--the hummers love em too!

      Delete
  19. Your garden is just fantastic. I would feel terribly inadequate but we do have weird weather for excuse. I was just chatting with a neighbour who is also disappointed. It is a weird year, relatively cool but dry. Thundering and finally some rain falling as I type this. Fingers crossed for a serious downpour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. len-I've noticed the biggest difference for me this year is in the number of pests and the wonky way stuff is maturing. My blueberries are usually spaced out in their ripening ( I have early, mid, and late bearing), and this year they are ALL bearing at the same time. That's a problem!--but one the neighbors are sure benefiting from!!
      :)
      Hope you get some rain. Pass the leftovers my way-we're terribly dry as well!

      Delete
  20. Hi Sue,
    Your gardens amaze me with their beauty and abundance! I love how you have everything set up, and enjoyed looking at your post about June, too. I just have the kind of hardneck garlic that was here when my mother-in-law gardened the yard. I learned to save some of the harvest to plant in the fall for next year. Do you do that? Thanks for stopping by my Wildflower Wednesday post. I have been seeing a few more butterflies, but not as many as in the past. I hope you are seeing more soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue-good to hear from you as always. My best garlic is the one I had bought at a farmer's market when we first moved here. I've saved it from year to year. This past year, I tried 2 new varieties--bought from a garlic farm. I'm not as happy with them as I am the original strain. So glad I still have some of that to plant!
      Have a great weekend

      Delete
  21. I am in awe. Your garden is looking beautiful. And such a bountiful harvest so far.

    The snapdragons remind me of my grandma. She always grows them in her flower garden and they're some of my favorites to look at.

    I had no idea deer had such a fondness for petunias!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim. Snapdragons must be a grandma thing-I never grew them until a few years ago.......and I'm a grandma!!
      :D
      Deer, dear Jim, have a fondness for EVERYTHING. If only they didn't......
      Hope you're having an adventurous week!

      Delete
  22. Looks like you did very well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John-yep, it has been a good year so far, despite all the heat and pests.
      Have a great weekend
      :)

      Delete
  23. What an impressive harvest of veggies and fruit. You sound like you are very prepared for winter with all your food stores. Your garden looks terrific too. Very belated birthday wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Jennifer, thank you so much! This year has been very good despite the early onslaught of pests. Have a great weekend--important to enjoy the last few summer has to offer
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your garden continues to amaze me. To think you keep up with all of this and make your own bread too! I am so impressed. I love the flowers that are also a part of your fruit and vegetable gardens. So pretty. How wonderful it must be to enjoy your homegrown produce throughout the winter months.
    Belated birthday greetings to you, Sue. I would say that pie was well-deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim-thanks so very much for the visit!
      Baking has become a very important part of my routine-I so enjoy it.
      Hope your week is going well!

      Delete
  26. Oh. .your garden just makes me happy!! Beautiful spaces!! Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie--so nice to see a post out of you today! Your summer is so busy....but a lot of fun too. Enjoy! And thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  27. So much beauty! Hope you are having a great weekend ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Summer-thanks for the visit. Hope your weekend is going good too!

      Delete
  28. Replies
    1. Thank you! Thanks for the visit.
      :)

      Delete
  29. Wow! Everything did so well. Your flowers are amazing and so is that truffle pie. I just know I would love it, being a chocolate lover!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Granny-I wish you could have joined us for pie-it is really amazing. Looking forward to spring-the ONLY time we can get it! Have a great weekend.
      :)

      Delete