A personal record of what's going on in my Northern Michigan zone 4 gardens. I use raised beds and grow organically. Nothing fancy--just trying to garden with nature in mind.

Friday, July 1, 2016

End of the Month Round Up-June

Overview of Vegetable Garden July 1, 2016

Well, I had full intentions of breaking down my notes into two posts this month, but who has time??
So---I will put up pictures of what's been going on this month and you can disregard the notes, as it's just for my records--not an attempt to induce a nap......though, really, at this time of year , who couldn't use a nap????   So---pictures first and then boring notes for ME afterward!
Have a great month, everyone.


New Asparagus beds, plus potatoes, onions , green beans and cole crops under Agribon fabric tents

An excellent year for the green beans--perfect germination
It's been a terrific year for the Foxglove and of course, Stachys

New Asparagus bed--Jersey Knight from Nourse Farms

Pumpkins and Sweet Corn



Zinnia Border in the Vegetable Garden

Taters and Onions Doing Well so Far

Delphinium in West Border opened on the last day of June!

Foxglove and Feverfew


Sidewalk Border from Back Door

All right--That's all.
It's time for MY notes to self.
Have a great July everyone
: )


June had 22  days of sun.  We got a total of   2.6 inches of Rain.  Our warmest day:June 19, it                                  reached 86 degrees.   Our coldest night was June 8--it was 36 degrees.
NO frost this month. That's the first time in 9 years of living here.  It got close, but didn't. Weird.



June 1--Locked unplanted flowers in the garage so we could have a day "off". No one can hear their                 muffled cries for water in there.  So good to have a day free from the constant watering.

June 2  Planted East border of the house
           Sowed third row Mokum Carrots
           Watered and Fertilized Barrels out by road
           Green Beans popping up

June 3--Planted:  Five Dahlias
                         Pumpkins (2)
                         Crookneck Squash (2)

           Zinnia Zahara Starlight Rose along sidewalk started to bloom :  Supposed to look like this--


           Instead--it looks like THIS:
No offense against burgandy, but my ENTIRE color scheme is PINK, blue, yellow and white.  It looks "pink-ISH in the picture. In real life --dark burgandy. --a total clash.

          The alyssum along the sidewalk was supposed to be a mix of purple, lavender, and white.
             The only color appearing is white.
         I am LIVID over this. I wasted how much in SEEDS and potting mix and running my
            grow lights. ARGH!

          NOTE TO SELF:--Next year BUY flats of Zinnia Starlight Rose and Alyssum IN BLOOM

June 4--Planted Six Dahlias,  2 flats mixed annuals,  1 dozen sweet potato plants,  5 leftover Russet
              potatoes that sprouted in the pantry,  another 6 celery,  and 2  Hearts of Gold Melon
                 and a partridge in a pear tree. Not really. Just seeing if you fell asleep yet.


June 5-Planted up Cart in front of barn that hubby made for me
          The big news of the day: RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       1/2 inch.  
"Splurged" on the branded petunias--hopefully this will fill out to become a cascade of pink and white.


June 6-Planted one flat Giant Yellow Zinnias (thanks, Daisy!!)
                      one flat White zinnia short variety
                      one 9 pk Phlox Moody Blues
                      Last tomato-Prudens Purple (had to rip out spinach--it bolted)
                      2 bush cucumbers
                      6 pack Cosmos Sonata
           Mowed the lawn--Bah!   Reason #34,236 summer is my least favorite time of year.

June 7--High temp of 52 degrees, Low of 36  Tomatoes, Peppers, and Sweet Potatoes need sweaters!
            A 1/10 inch rain. Whoop-de-do

June 8-Asparagus (Jersey Knight) arrived from Nourse Farms. Followed their extremely clear
            directions for planting. I've never seen asparagus roots before, but these looked SO
             thick and healthy.  Also received a  Nelson Blueberry bush--a late season producer
               with (supposed) EXCELLENT flavor and freezing qualities--will hold until tomorrow

           FROST WARNINGS issued for tonight. Covered 1/2 the garden. The rest is on it's own

June 9--No frost--thank goodness. Low only hit 36, thanks to some late cloud cover.
           Replanted all the Zinnia Starlight Rose along the sidewalk.  I was lucky to find a flat leftover
             at the local (47 miles away!) nursery.
          Planted Nelson Blueberry bush from Nourse Farms--mulched heavily with Pine needles
          Planted 2 more flats of flowers.
          Still cutting lettuce every other day---enough for two HUGE salads. Still not tired of it!  : )

June 11--Starting to Bloom:  Clematis, Columbine, Wisteria, Peach poppies, and Nepeta
Clematis this year was amazing

Wisteria by the Blueberry patch


June 11-- 1/2 inch rain last night---much needed. I was just about to drag out the hose (my arch                        nemesis!)   Saved again!  The hose continues to gather dust!
             Planted Second patch of Ambrosia Sweet Corn
             Planted 4th row of Mokum Carrots
             And with that I am  FINISHED PLANTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which means:

June 12-15 Trip to Dubuque, IA to rest up from a very busy month!        
Relaxing after a tough few weeks of planting---Kent, Illinois
June 15--
Arrived home to find the deer had breached my ugly fence barricade. Mowed down all my phlox,
sunflowers, daisies, asters and rudbeckia.  Will spend my first full day home trying to figure out
a new plan.  It may involve a shotgun.

          Also---BEETLES INVADE--every kind you can imagine. Japanese, Colorado Potato, etc etc.

          RAIN!!  1/2 inch , and while appreciated---PLEASE SEND MORE!

June 16-21  Clean-up of my stall--washed about 58,000 pots and flats to put back in storage

June 21--Sowed 5th row Mokum carrots.
              Finding lots of Colorado potato beetle eggs on uncovered potatoes--I check every other day

              Salads continue--a huge bowl cut every other day.  Spinach has bolted.  Radishes are
              beautiful now, thanks to advice from blogger Margaret about keeping them from being
              shaded.  Thanks, Margaret!

           

June 22--Secured the west border from the deer--so they went to the barn and ate all the
               outrageously expensive branded petunias in the grape cart.  Getting harder not to curse!

June 23--The hose makes an appearance. My least favorite thing in the world---watering---but
                  we are so dry that I simply must .  Drats. And I'm actually "thinking" much worse.
                   I try to be a lady just in case Mama Pea is actually READING THIS.  She does
                     that sometimes.  I wouldn't want to offend her delicate nature.

June 24-FIRST OF THE SUGAR SNAP PEAS .  Crisp, delicious. They don't make it to the house.
             Hubby doesn't eat them. I snack on them while I'm in the garden-one big handful every day.

June 26,--RAIN!!!!!   9/10 inch rain---so  badly needed. Most if it just ran off, as the soil is so dry
                it's actually repelling water.  The weeds in the aisles sure took off though!

June 28--Continuing fight with Potato Beetles--but I do seem to be keeping up with it.
             Salads continue--still getting LARGE bowl full every other day--but I miss the spinach

Jun 30--Garden has hit it's "boring" stage, with just slight maintenance daily--plucking the
            occasional weed or bug while having my morning coffee. Nice!  I have my days back.
            Celebrated with not only our usual 3 mile walk, but also a 10 mile bike ride. I'm
            going to sleep pretty good tonight, I think!








57 comments:

  1. Your garden is AMAZING! You have so much going on, AND it all looks so tidy and organized!! Beautiful!

    I think every gardener I've talked with has commented on what a great clematis year it's been....

    You could've sent me all those white alyssum - I LOVE them!! I don't have the best luck growing them from seed, partly because I can get them up, and then sooner or later they dry out or rot off. So I usually buy a flat in the spring, and then as I'm buying more flowers later, I add more alyssum because I can't resist them. LOVE the scent. And I always find the pinks/purples are smaller and fizzle out faster than the whites.

    The last year or so I discover the bigger, fancier alyssum, where they're also a lot more expensive. They're so impressive, and look great in hanging baskets.

    I almost picked up some foxgloves the other day - and may yet, since the place near us is pretty cheap. I tried them years ago, then we got dogs and I read how they're really toxic for dogs - only our dogs show no interest in nibbling on anything but grass in the yard. (Well, grass, or snow peas, or strawberries, or raspberries...) I just need to find a place I'd want to put them.

    And you say your garden is behind mine based on location, but I'd swear your beans look about as tall as mine are. My first planting are just starting to show signs of blooms this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeph--I love the white alyssum as well, but love the combo of purple, violet, and white to go down the walkway. It's hard to get them established from seed, but once you do, they do tend to come back year after year (if you let it go to seed there).
      And yes--do get the foxglove, cuz when they're blooming---WOW!
      Have a great Fourth

      Delete
  2. very nice- looks like it's going well I have a great recipe for sugar snap salad with mint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John--well, I hope you share that recipe along with a few pics of YOUR garden. Hint hint hint
      :)

      Delete
    2. Couldn't figure out how to post the recipe so I sent you an email. Recipe is from Jane Brody's "Good food Gourmet"

      Delete
    3. Thanks, John, I got it and appreciate it!
      :)

      Delete
  3. I was so glad to see you having a moment of relaxation after all of your hard work. Wow, your gardens are gorgeous and amazing. While I didn't read all of your notes, I did see the part about the deer and beetles. Ugh! How disappointing that must have been.
    Have an enjoyable 4th of July weekend, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim-Hope you have a terrific 4th as well. Thanks for the visit-I appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely garden. Thank you for taking the time to post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomato Thyme-and thank YOU for the visit!! Hope you have a great weekend

      Delete
  5. Hello, your garden looks beautiful. I love all the flowers and veggies. Clematis is one of my favorite, the Foxgloves are pretty too The planted cart looks awesome. So nice to see you relaxing, at least some. Happy Friday, enjoy your 4th of July weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen-hope you two have a great 4th. Big plans? Or some quiet walks and birding? That's my idea of a great holiday. Take care

      Delete
  6. I saw that! You said "drats," you nasty little girl! Watch it or I'll have to go get a bar of soap!

    I may contemplate a move to Michigan. Once again, your everything is ahead of mine. What has Mother Nature got against us (silly people) trying to garden in northern Minnesota, I ask? Huh? HUH??

    Love, love, love all the gorgeous photos.

    P.S. I planted the Zahara Starlight Rose zinnia last year and although mine looked like the picture of what they were supposed to look like, I was not impressed by their small, what I considered not very "showy" stature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee--I knew you read those notes!
      I used to love that Zahara, but this year is certainly making me mad. The replacements I BOUGHT are completely infested with Japanese beetles. Maybe the deer will do me a favor and EAT THEM! Ha!
      Have a great 4th, Mama Pea

      Delete
  7. Wow - an amazing garden, as always, dear friend!!! I swear you are out there 24/7, chanting little growing tunes to your plants as they germinate! What satisfaction you must have at the this time of year, seeing your plant babies take hold and produce. Sorry about the deer coming by to dine again. Spring plants are like candy to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 2 Tramps---no , I don't chant little growing tunes to them--I threaten them!! Heehee!
      You got that right with the candy comment. I wish they'd go back into the woods!!
      :D

      Delete
    2. We are working are higher deer fencing here after a hit on our fenced garden. First time in several years - and the last was after the gate got left open. I know you must be very busy with harvesting and freezing or canning. Hope to hear from you soon!

      Delete
  8. Your garden looks amazing. Your hard work is paying off! The Delphinium looks beautiful. I love the cart your hubby made for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jim. He got those wheels from a neighbor--how he figured out the rest is a mystery to me!! Happy 4th
      :)

      Delete
  9. So many beds! I think that would challenge even my organization skills. The worst is keeping great records and then not having time to and leaving a big gap. Or looking at your notes and realizing you were supposed to seed the second cucumbers LAST week. Ghah! Behind again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SmartAlex-I don't keep very good records BUT, I do manage to do the basics. It's great to look back and see when things were done....or know when to start looking for those dastardly beetles! And no matter how much we try, ya can't keep up with that second sowing of anything! Ha!
      Have a great weekend

      Delete
  10. Everything looks so wonderful! I wonder how you can keep such good records and post them when you have such a large garden! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy--that's what is so great about having a blog-I just enter my notes at night when I have my "down" time-it's a great resource. I still forget to put a lot of stuff down though. Thanks for the visit
      :)

      Delete
  11. I'd be like a kid in a sweet shop in your garden it all looks fantastic. Your vegetable garden is very productive no wonder you have been so busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning, Sue. Thanks so much. I sure wish you'd come across the pond with some of your terrific berries---then it would have everything!
      :)

      Delete
  12. Your garden is coming on so well, Sue - that corn is miles ahead of mine! And I'm just NOW getting some sugar snaps. Dang, wish I was at the boring part of the season but still have a laundry list of work to do.

    The delphinium is spectacular! We saw some at the farm this past week in the area that was the cutting flower garden last year and I had no idea what they were (can you believe it?) but lOVED them and now want some! And just to pick your brain, 'cause I'm such an ornamental plant ignoramous, I have some of those dark purple flowering plants that are in your "sidewalk border from back door" photo - what are they? And now I'm sure you're going to say they are something totally common that everyone and their brother knows about.

    Oh and I'm so GLAD that the radishes worked out for you...took me a few years to figure out that they actually need some sun to produce ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Margaret--the blue spikey plants next to the sidewalk are Salvia--but a perennial type and since I don't keep great notes (like SOMEONE I know), I can't tell you the variety. They are so tough and carefree. I'll hack em back in another week, and they'll bloom again, though not quite as spectacular.
      Hope you're having a good day, Enjoy the garden

      Delete
    2. Ahhh...now I know. I'll be making a note of that - I'm laughing as I write that, but you know I'm not kidding ;) And thanks for the hacking back tip - I'll make sure to do that!

      Delete
  13. Sorry about the nasty deer and beetles. I do love that dark purple Delphinium with the white center. Mu Delphinium didn't come through the winter. sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Granny M--I lost quite a few of the Delphiniums this year. I don't know if it was just their "age" or what the problem was. But-I've got seed on order and will be starting replacements this summer. They're too gorgeous to just let go.......
      Happy 4th

      Delete
  14. It was lovely to see your garden. It would be a great job to maintain it. Beautiful and colorful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sue, you must have a good sleep every night with that sort of garden....it's so beautiful...it's a great inspiration. Am envious and coveting your wisteria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie--thanks so very much-I appreciate your kind words.
      The wisteria has really taken off in the past 2 years. Now if I could only figure out how to "tame" it.
      Happy 4th

      Delete
  16. Sue, love this post! I was asking my husband tonight, "What have we been doing all summer? I feel like all we do is slog from one garden disaster to the next, have we actually accomplished anything?" and then I see your detailed post and realize I need to outline my antics so I can remember what we did and when. I've always seen those five year garden journals and sort of dismissed them, but now I can see where they would be a great help in determining frost dates, etc. Your garden is stunning, all your hard work is paying off. And I am having deer invasions lately, too, drat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I can't tell you how happy I am you commented. I have been thinking of you and your garden so much and COULD NOT REMEMBER the name of your blog---and here you are!! Hooray. I lost my blog roll several years ago, and you can imagine how frustrating that was. Anyway, glad you stopped, thank you for your kind words and I have put you back on the list. I've missed you!
      :)

      Delete
  17. I love this post, and your garden is gorgeous! I have never been good with flowers and plants and gardens, but I am great with animals, especially cats. However, that having been said, it isn't that I don't love gardens, it just isn't my talent, so thank you for sharing, I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda--I love cats too. I used to have a cat that spent hours with me in the garden....though I think he was there for the chipmunks, not the snap peas--haha!

      Delete
  18. My garden is producing well so now it is canning/freezing slog plus planting Fall veggie slog. Glad you have found a few days for some much needed rest. If I get a day off I'm going to have a very long nap-I'll leave ten mile bike rides to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan-I'm envious of your harvests slog. I'm still at the lettuce/snap pea faze. I'd give that all up for trays of strawberries in the freezer!!
      (and a nap is ALWAYS a great idea!)

      Delete
  19. What a great garden you have! I envy your raised vegetable beds. Despite your battles with pests, they must produce a lot of food. Just curious, what do you have in between the beds. In one picture it looks like mulch. I tried mulch between my raised beds, but found that the weeds moved right in. How do you manage to keep the paths in between the beds so weed free I'd love to know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer--the back part of the garden does have mulch...and frankly, I wish I had never started that. You're right about the weeds--though they are pretty easy to pull.
      The rest of the aisles are sand---which is what my "soil" is. It stays weed free because , like a beach, the sun cooks out anything that tries to get a foothold in there. That sand gets like burning hot in the sun.
      What few things sprout can get knocked down with an occasional "sweep" with an iron rake.
      Hope this helps....and thanks for the visit
      :)

      Delete
  20. Looking good in the garden. Those little flower beds with the rocks for edging at the end of your raised beds are so sweet. Hope you get a lot of green beans. I just planted mine yesterday. For some reason they do best for me planted when it is hot. I just have to keep them watered well, which this year is easier! Nice to have those summer flowers. Super tall foxgloves. The planted "wagon" is neat. Lots of interesting containers in there. Hope to see flowers cascading! Man, those deer! (Yes, I read some of your notes. It's your fault for putting fun photos in them like the one of you on the swing). Nice looking salad. Thanks for the update! Enjoy a little more time just 'maintaining' the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GonSS-I was so hoping to see cascading flowers from my containers, but the deer have now mown over all my planters that are outside of the fenced garden. It's maddening this year. I've never had trouble like this before with the containers. ARGH!
      Anyways, good to see you back at blogging. I'm so happy you're getting rain! Happy summer (and green beans too!)

      Delete
  21. Sue your garden puts mine to shame...I need a nap after looking at all that hard work....what a harvest you will be having! And then all the flowers...wow! Would I love to be your neighbor....have a great summer in that stunning garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna, Thanks for the compliment. I would LOVE to be your neighbor--we could swap plants!!! And you could finally get me to cut vases full of flowers! Have a great day and thanks for stopping

      Delete
  22. Sue your garden is AMAZING! Do you have a layout plan of your beds? I'd love to see what you have where

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tricky-the layout is found here
      http://suesgardenjournal.blogspot.com/2016/04/garden-update-and-plans-april-1-2016.html
      Have a great week in the garden.
      :)

      Delete
    2. That is so helpful thank you so much Sue, hope you have a wonderful weekend

      Delete
  23. It's great to see all your vegetable boxes filled with delicious greens after your long winter. And my favorite foxgloves...and the clematis and that fabulous box your husband made. I can imagine the fragrance from petunias on a warm summer evening.Your organization and record keeping is simply incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. Hoping for an update from YOU!! Always love seeing your beautiful gardens. Happy Summer. Ugh--did I just say that to you? Texas is toooooooo hot this time of year.
      :D

      Delete
  24. Oh, the perfection! I was almost relieved to hear about the deer invasion. Not nice of me, I know. Here is why I resisted clicking on this till now. The contrast with my own scraggly efforts is too great. As said before, visiting your blog always fills me with a mix of admiration, inspiration, and envy. I had to wait for a moment when I would be able to handle the envy. It is cool and wet here today and I have declared the garden equivalent of a snow day. I might even blog. Congrats Sue, and thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you flatterer!! Thank you! I do appreciate it. We're having some cool and wet weather as well--and I should be outside enjoying it but am also having a terrific day inside cooking. Must chase dust bunnies too!! The inside never gets cleaned much this time of year.
      Have a fun week in the garden. Hope to see a post from you soon

      Delete
  25. I am in Northern Michigan too and clueless on gardening, although I would like to do it. I found your blog from your comment on Mr. Home Maker's blog...just thought I'd tell you I am bookmarking your blog to study later! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily--Welcome. Hope you do start a garden. Northern Michigan may have a short season, but our LONG days really make a lot of good food possible.

      Delete
  26. Sorry to read that the deer and beetles are giving you so much trouble. My husband was just asking me about flowers on a movie we saw and I said I thought they were Delphiniums, after seeing your gardens I know they were Foxglove…lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen-so nice to see you. Glad you got it figured out. Hope your summer is going well down there.

      Delete